Cheynes Beach Whaling Company Whale Chasers


 

History of the Cheynes Beach Whaling Company Whale Chasers

  

Cheynes

  • Built in Oslo, Norway in 1921 was given the name Toern.
  • Was used by a Norwegian Whaling Company and by 1938 was sold to the Thor Dhal Group
  • 1942 to 1946 the Toern was used by the Royal Navy as a Mine Sweeper.
  • 1952 to 1961 served as a Whale Chaser for the Cheynes Beach Whaling Company
  • 1961 was then sold to a scrap dealer and subsequently sunk between Michaelmas Island and the north shore of the King George Sound, Albany Western Australia.

 

Kos VII

  • Built in Middlesbrough, England in 1929 and was given the name Kos VII.
  • Hired as a Mine Sweeper in World War II and was renamed to the Daybreak.
  • In 1945 it returned to its original owners and reverted back to its original name the Kos VII.
  • Whale Products Pty Ltd. Tangalooma, Queensland purchased the Kos VII in 1952.
  • In 1957 the Cheynes Beach Whaling Station purchased the        Kos VII, where it stayed with the company for 10 years.
  • In 1967 was sold to a Scrap Metal dealer.
  • In 1968 was scuttled off Rottnest Island

 

Minilya

  • Built in Oslo, Norway in 1930 and was given the name Thorvard.
  • From 1940 to 1946 was used as an auxiliary patrol whaler by the Royal Norwegian Navy under the Royal Navy operational control.
  • 1950 the Thorvard was sold to the Australian Whaling Comission.
  • In 1951 was renamed the Minilya
  • The Nor'West Whaling Co. Ltd. purchased the Minilya in 1956.
  • The Cheynes Beach Whaling Company purchased the Minilya in 1961 and was with the company until 1967.
  • The Minilya was scuttled off Bald Head, King George Sound in Albany Western Australia.

 

Gascoyne

  • Built in German in 1936 and was given the name Southern Breeze
  • From 1940 to 1946 was hired by the Royal Navy as an Anti-Submarine whaler.
  • The South Georgia Co. Ltd. purchased the Southern Breeze in 1941
  • In 1950 it was sold to the Australian Whaling Comission and renamed the Gascoyne.
  • The Cheynes Beach Whaling Company puchased the vessel in 1962 and stayed with the company for the next 7 years to 1969.

 

Cheynes II

  • Built in Smith's Dock, Middlesbrough England in 1947 and was named the Thorbryn.
  • In 1962 the vessel was sold to Whale Products Pty. Ltd and renamed the Looma II.
  • In 1963 the Looma II was sold to the Cheynes Beach Whaling Company where they renamed her the Cheynes II. It remained with the company up until its closure of the station in 1978.
  • In 1979 the Cheynes II was given to the Hobart Maritime Museum and in 1983 sold to Bob Barnett for an Antartic Expedition.
  • The Cheynes II was repossessed in 1984 and sold to Des Cerray.
  • The Cheynes II now lies derelict at Quaranup, Albany Western Australia.

 

Cheynes III

  • Built at Smith's Dock in Middlesbrough, England in 1947, the Cheynes III was a sister ship to the Cheynes II. It's original name was the Thorgrim.
  • Sold in 1962 to Whale Products Pty. Ltd. Tangalooma, Queensland where the vessel was renamed to the Looma III.
  • The Cheynes Beach Whaling Company pruchased the Looma III in 1963 and was renamed to the Cheynes III, it remained with the company up until its closure in 1978.
  • The Cheynes III was scuttled in King George Sound, Albany Western Australia on the 23rd June 1982. The engine of the Cheynes III is on display here at Whale World in working order.

 

Cheynes IV

  • Built in Norway in 1948 and given the name W.Fearnhead
  • Was sold in 1948 to Union Whaling Company in Durban, South Africa and renamed the Wilfrid Fearnhead
  • In 1970 the Wilfrid Fearnhead was sold to the Cheynes Beach Whaling Company where they renamed the vessel to the Cheynes IV, and stayed with the company up intil its closure in 1978.
  • In 1981 it was towed to its present position at Whale World where it is on display.

 

 

Copyright 2005 - The Jaycee Community Foundation Inc | Designed by OpenTravel Pty Ltd